Monday 1 December 2014

Warm and Bright

First of all..........Happy December Everyone!
 ..........these lovely bright flowers and berries were a present from my younger daughter rosie and her dh chris when they came to stay last weekend.......the vivid bouquet has been brightening the kitchen  beautifully and looks lovely in the glow of the fairy lights..........thank you for all the kind wishes for my husband's birthday, he was pleased to receive them and he did have a lovely time.............
 ............we have got the xmas decorations boxes down from the attic, and i have put up some lights and some candle bridges so things are beginning to look festive today...........
 .................i love the colours of this autumn blanket, begun last year and finished this year and inspired by the leaves and berries of autumn in the lake district...........lots of people asked about the pom pom or bobble trim......it is from clothkits and is very well made and robust......i just sewed the tape part on to the wrong side of the blanket border and it is wearing well, despite often being used by two small children and even occasionally one small dog..........
 ............the colours of the autumn blanket inspired me to make some wristwarmers...........
 ..............and the fabrics below are part of a new patchwork project i'm working on this week........
 ...............lots of bright warm colours to cheer up the grey cloudy days......though we have had sunshine too some days :)...........i showed my grandchildren how to make pom poms with the pom pom makers and they loved it so much it kept them absorbed for ages.....they took theirs home with them........charlie made an amazing orange and white one, and daisy made a sweet pink one :)
 .........because they were so keen on the pom pom idea i added four to the corners of charlie's stripy blanket.......he loved it, and daisy loved her sweet pea one which i showed two posts ago.....
 .............i made charlie a red, white and blue blanket....i have made this colour way before and knew he really liked it, reminding him of boats, the seaside and flags...........
 .............if the pom poms happen to fall off he can make some new ones as i am giving them their own pom pom maker as a little extra xmas gift ;)................
 .............i love all the bright berried plants around now too and wanted to get a picture of the holly tree that molly and i pass on our walk, but have discovered that it is hard to take photos while holding a small dog on a lead at the same time................maybe next week..........
 .............a little plant bringing the berries indoors...........and below is one of the baubles i've begun to unpack ready to dress the xmas trees.............always nice to see what is in the boxes again........
..............thank you for visiting me here in my little blog space dear readers, and for leaving such kind comments.............i wish you a warm and bright december and a happy cosy crafty week ahead......back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

40 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Pretty flowers, and your crochet is beautiful.
Julie xxxxxxxx

marmarel said...

I wish you a happy december too! I am glad of the colors of your photos!
Greetings from Marijke

Людмила said...

Очень красиво!!!

Bee Lady said...

Happy December 1st! I just love all of your colors! I think I want to live in the lake district if that's what fall looks like there! Your birdhouse in the last post is adorable.

Cindy Bee

Kate said...

Beautiful flowers .... beautiful everything! Your blog posts are so colourful and give me a warm fuzzie (and that's a good thing). :)

scrappyjacky said...

The flowers are stunning....such gorgeous autumnal colours....though today it feels like December has brought winter with it!
The pompom trim is the perfect edging for your lovely blanket.

vintage grey said...

Beautiful blankets!! All so sweet and the colors are lovely! Glad you are getting some Christmas decorations up! Always so fun! Have a lovely week and Christmas season Helen! xo Heather1

Art and Sand said...

The colors you use simply make me smile.

Happy December to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen! Your autumn blanket is my favourite crochet blanket! Those colours are so beautiful and the cute pom poms make it perfect! Happy December! x Teje

Teresa Kasner said...

Hello my friend! Thank you for showing us Charlie's blanket.. you're so right.. it's perfect for a boy with the patriotic colors that also evoke sailing flags. What a wonderful grandmother you are! I will think of you decorating your home while I do mine.. across the pond. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Ingrid Orens said...

I'm in love with your red/white/blue blanket ! Simple, but beautiful !!

homemade@myplace said...

….. such a colourful post!!!!!love it!!!
xxxxx Ale

Unknown said...

I love all your pom poms and that you are giving pom pom makers as gifts!
My oldest son(21) and I just discovered the maker too, so know just how fun they can be to make!
Thanks so much for always having colorful images to brighten the day:)
Best wishes,
Steph

Christine B said...

Hello Helen! Such beautiful flowers from your daughter and her husband.... love those autumnal colours! Love your adorable wristwarmers too and the children must be delighted with their blankets! What a good idea to give them pom pom makers as an extra Christmas gift... they are sure to enjoy them! :) xx

moonstruckcreations said...

Those flowers are so pretty, and love the colours.

It really is starting to feel Christmassy!!

Helenxx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a lovely warm, cosy post Helen.
Pompoms are a lot of fun its no surprise that your grandchildren love making them. :)
Your crochet is beautiful!!
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around these parts too!
Happy December,
v x

...Nina Nixon... said...

Now I can see the seasonal colours working there way into your blog. I'm so glad we've connected again - I so love your posts.

Nina x

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Happy December to you too Helen. I love to look at all your beautiful pictures filled with color. Red/white/blue is also one of my favorite color combinations. Lucky Charlie! It is so much fun to teach our grandchildren something we enjoy doing. I will have to get out my Pom Pom maker too! Enjoy decorating and the rest of you week.

Lorrie said...

Happy December days. I'm feeling warm and bright after reading your lovely post. Enjoy the Christmas decorating.

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Happy December to you too Dear Helen. Love your warm post and ALL the lovely crocheting. Love those pom moms!!! Happy decorating, xoRobin

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that you have a great December and enjoy lots of blanket snuggling times! xx

Jennifer Hays said...

All of your crochet is gorgeous, but I especially love the autumn blanket. The colors are perfect together. Your flowers are really striking, I love the oranges and yellows. I hope you're having a good week.

Anonymous said...

Helen, you have such a great way to pick yarn colors to put together. I know you probably have different yarns over there, but what type of fiber is it? What would be similar here for us in those lovely colors? I always love your crochet projects! Sandy

Gracie Saylor said...

Someone in our family went out to the holly tree by our front pond and plucked four little branches with bright red berries to bring to me! I am so pleased and have them tucked around my Nativity scene on the mantel as my youngest daughter suggested. I will try to post a picture to show you. I love the colors in your crocheted blankets and want to investigate you pom pom maker...I fear the bunny tails I made can easily fall apart should the bunnies do much jumping...which is probable! xx

Jo said...

Happy bright pictures Helen, I wish they were bigger so we could all revel in your beautiful colour choices.You know really punch us inthe eyes with happiness! Jo x

Things and Thoughts said...

Your creations are pure delight Helen, nothing more beautiful exists!
Wish you a thrilling December!
Olympia

A little happy place said...

Happy December Helen! I soooo want to make some poms!!

cristina said...

I love it, all! and your little birdhouse too! I hope you have a nice time with your family and friends! happy december, Helen!
And many thanks for your all sweet words and lovely comments on my blog. You make me very, very happy all days! Thanks!
Kisses from Catalonia!

Thimbleanna said...

As always, such a gorgeous post. And what a great grandma you are -- who wouldn't love to receive a pom pom maker for Christmas???

Unknown said...

I love your work Helen. I have one if your books which I enjoy looking at and working from, although my sewing is somewhat dubious - I'm better at crochet! Your blog is a mesh of pretty colours, it really is a pleasure to read. Lil xx

Sam I Am...... said...

Helen, I am so sorry I haven't been by...and you're one of my very favorites too! What's wrong with me?
I think I try to follow too many and then I get behind...way behind!
I love the pompoms and your grandchildren must have inherited your craft mojo!
I love your fall flowers and your fall blanket. I want to start a blanket...again. I miss having a project that I can just pick up in the evening and that I have the pattern memorized.
I've been trying to make all my gifts but I finally had to back off and just relax and enjoy the process and buy some "backup" presents in case I don't get the gift finished. LOL!
I have some catching up to do on your blog! Hugs! Sam

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Waving hello, just catching up after ages of not reading blogs. Yours is a joy as always, love love love your new crochet creations, I have picked up the hook again as I was missing not having a crochet project on the go ... no one warned me how addicted that craft was :-D I hope you are all well , take care Zoe x

Jane said...

Hi Helen, you're ahead of me with the Christmas decs, we hope to get them out this weekend. Centre Parcs was fab! Your flowers are so bright and pretty as are your crochet projects. Keep snug x

forgetmenotsblue said...

Happy December!
Aw I love that pom pom trim on your blanket looks great x

Madelief said...

Your daughter brought you some beautiful flowers Helen! They do brighten up the house on grey December days.

The blanket you made for Charlie looks lovely!

Have a lovely evening!

Madelief x

Ladybird Diaries said...

Hi Helen, what a beautiful, bright and uplifting post! I love your crochet in this post...your wrist warmers are beautiful and look so cosy. Gorgeous blanket for your wee grandson too, it will be well loved and treasured I'm sure.
Marianne x

susan said...

Hi Helen - Wow, you've certainly been busy! I'll be bringing out my Christmas decorations any day now and shopping for a tree and wreath. I love this time of year. Love the wrist warmers - great colors.

Ingrid K. said...

Dear Helen! Such pretty photos!!!
Love your colourful blanket with the pompoms! <3
All your makes are so pretty!
The blanket for Charlie looks sweet!
Thanks for sharing!
have a great weekend!
Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

Pink Milk said...

Oh Helen, such beautiful, beautiful colours in this post. They really are a total joy. I absolutely adore your pom pom blanket and wrist warmers. You have such a gift when it comes to putting colours together. Charlie's blanket is gorgeous. You're such a lovely grandmother. Heather xx

Darice said...

Ah! Your pictures and stories of bunnies always makes me smile! Happy Holidays!
Darice
a North Dakota girl now in Camas, Washington!